Thursday, December 2, 2010

Wrestlers Getting Feedback OnTheir Matches

Have you ever wondered as a coach, how can I give my wrestlers consistent feedback on their match performance?  In addition to using video tape, how about using what Coach Hatfield has developed as a Match Skill Record.

Before videotaping was widely used and readily available, I needed a way to quickly recapture and evaluate my wrestlers during their matches. I developed what I called the Match Skill Record. This was a simple form placed on a 51/2 x 81/2 card that I kept in a binder to record rapidly the skills my wrestlers displayed during their matches.  With the age of video, the Match Skill Record enhanced the wrestler’s review and analysis of his/her taped match. The two together have proven to be invaluable in providing essential feedback for the wrestler.
The Match Skill Record includes the following:
  • ·         Period by period score sheet
  • ·         Essential Data concerning Competitors and match
  • ·         Takedown Skills Evaluation
  • ·         Bottom Position Evaluation
  • ·         Rides and Pins Evaluation
  • ·         Comment section for each category
Each of these categories has a quick evaluation checklist divided into good, fair, and poor. The recorder is able to quickly check those levels with a check mark or tally mark in order to provide consistent feedback on the technique or skill. I usually used an assistant or mat squad member to fill out the form based on my comments.

The benefit for you as a coach is that you can quickly comment on what you see during the match in a consistent and efficient manner. The Match Skill Record can also be used a good scouting report against opponents later in the season. I found that my wrestlers could not wait to review the match records. They liked the consistent feedback and the evaluations reinforced what skills they needed to improve.  I also used these to assist me in developing my practices around what needed to be covered in practice.

A sample of just the takedown section:

TAKEDOWNS


GOOD
FAIR
POOR

COMMENTS

STANCE/POSITION





MOTION




LEVEL CHANGE




PENETRATION



LIFTS



BACKSTEP/BACK ARCH




SET-UPS



SINGLE LEG



DOUBLE LEG




FINISHES



FIREMAN’S




To obtain a free copy of the form, leave a post requesting the form.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to get a copy of your match skill. Thank you for sharing. familybedard@aol.com. Great blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. familybedard: Thanks for your feed back. Send others to this site: http://coach-hatfield.blogspot.com

    I will send the form right out per your request.

    Tell us more about your involvement in wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I would also like to get a copy of your match skill. I am a parent of a youth wrestler and I used to be a Division 3 wrestler more than 20 years ago. I would like to support my son by giving him support.
    Please send to wnicholson@gmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks in advance. I'd like a copy please
    Greg.bryant@charter.net

    ReplyDelete